Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Prepping, or just Normal Life

In the last several years there have been news articles about people dubbed as 'preppers', survivalists, hoarders and nut jobs.  On one extreme there are rich people spending millions of dollars on condo's in renovated missile silo's where they can go if the SHTF for those who don't know that means Stuff Hits the Fan.  There are those who talk about being prepared but don't know exactly what it means so they just kind of vacillate because the don't believe in a TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) scenario.  To that end I want to tell you what being prepared means to me.

It wasn't that many years ago that in this country everybody had a pantry.  A large percentage of the people of this country had gardens.  Women canned on a regular basis and instead of buying canned goods 'put up' food.  We as a people no longer do that.

That still doesn't give any answers does it?  Lets start with the basics.  I'm not a big proponent of the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI however I guess it could happen.  I am however a proponent of being able to support myself and my family in times when things are tough, when a job is lost, when inflation goes up, when the unexpected happens, or just about anything comes up that taxes us emotionally, physically, mentally or financially.  Having food from the garden 'put by' by being canned or dehydrated allows me to be prepared for these types of things.  It's that simple and sometimes I might miss the mark, but at least in this country I have the freedom to make the attempt to be as self sufficient as I can be.

So what some people call prepping, or hoarding is just normal life.  It's what the people of this country have done since April 19, 1775 and before.

No comments:

Post a Comment